What does the map show?
Biomes. The colour of the map corresponds to the biome at that point, e.g. blue for ocean. You can hover or click to get the biome name displayed on the info panel. What you build doesn't effect the biome so won't show up.
Shading is an indication of how hilly the area is - it doesn't correspond to the exact hills in the game as I can't do that quickly enough at this scale.
The markers show where things like temples are, most of them are turned off by default so as to not accidentally spoil your game. If you created a map from a level.dat save then a player icon will track you as you play.
What the hell is level.dat and where do I find it?
It's the file that Minecraft stores your seed and player position in for a given world. A level.dat will be in each of the folders at:
- Windows: %appdata%\roaming\.minecraft\saves
- Mac: /Users/[USER]/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves
- Linux: ~/.minecraft/saves
What is a seed?
The seed is a phrase, word or number that fixes Minecraft's random number generator in a fixed pattern. You can set it in the Minecraft world creation options, or by default you are given a random one. If two maps are made with the same seed they will be identical. The wiki has more info.
How do I find out what my seed is?
You can use the "/seed" command (Press "t" then type "/seed"). This may be disabled on some servers unless you are admin/OP.
The map is wrong! You suck!
Calm down dear, it's only a website. There are a few things that can cause this:
- You added a space at the end of a seed, making it different
- Even though you are running Minecraft 1.8 your terrain might have been generated in a previous version if you have an old world.
- Your world is set to large biomes which MineAtlas doesn't support. Yet...
Does it work for xbox/ps/Colecovision?
Rejoice! It seems the latest update to the console versions has made the generation the same as PC! This means MineAtlas should work, although I have been told the markers may be wrong :(
How can I support the site?
I have now set up a Patreon
- the site costs money to run so anything is appreciated!
How can I make a suggestion/bug report?